书城外语大学英语自学教程(上册)疑难详释与题解
24578800000066

第66章 Unit 23(2)

4 )be to 想要(= want to, intend to)

If we are to win this match, we must all do our very best.

如果想要在比赛中获胜, 我们必须全力以赴。

They a re to be mar ried in May. 他们想五月结婚。

8.In some cultures-and I am sure this is a culture feature and not an individual one-it is quite normal for people to stand close together or to more or less thrust their face into years when they are talking to you. 在有些类型的文化中(笔者可以肯定地说, 亲近度属于文化的特征, 而不是个体特征)人们谈话时离得很近是正常的, 时不时把脸凑向对方也是正常的。

1 )be sure 确信.., 确知.., 有理由相信.., be sure of + 名词性成分

Can we be sure of his honesty?我们能确信他是诚实的吗?

You’re sure of a welcome. 你一定会受到欢迎。

be sure that 从句(或由连接副词whether , why, when, where 等引导的从句)

Can we be sure tha t he is honest?我们能相信他是诚实的吗?

I’m not sure whether I have a copy. (where I left my copy, when I lost it, etc. )

我不能确定是否我有一本(我把我那本遗忘在什么地方, 何时失去了它, 等)。

I’m not sure why he wants it. 我不能确定他为什么需要它。

2 )individual(尤指针对某一个人或某事物而言)个别的(general 与之相对)

A teacher cannot give individual attention to his pupils if his class is very large.

如果班上的人数很多, 教师便不能对他的学生个别注意了。

Are the rights of an individua l person more important or less important than the rights of society as a whole?个人利益与社会利益孰重孰轻?

3 )more or less 多多少少, 多少有点儿The speaker is more or less nervous. 发言人多少有些紧张。

The lecture is boring, more or less. 讲座有点令人乏味。

9.I’m sure you could make a whole list of such signals-and it might be fun if you did. 可以说读者自己便可以开列出一大张这类体势语信号的单子来。不妨试试。很有意思。

1 )could 表示条件

Could you lift that box (if you tried)?

你能拿得起那只箱子吗(如果你试一下)?

Could you have lifted that box (if you had tried)?

你能拿得起那只箱子(如果你试了一下的话)?

2 )make a list of.列出, 造表

The monitor was asked to ma ke a list of the students of the class.

要求班长列一份这个班学生的名单。

My mother would make a shopping list before going shopping.

我母亲常在购物前列出一份购物单。

10. If you are aware that you are doing these things, you can stop.

如果意识到自己正在发出这些信号, 可以停止这样做。

be aware of (that).知道.., 明白.., 意识到.., 清楚..

Are you awa re tha t you are sitting on my hat?

你可知道你坐在我的帽子上?

We a re fully awa re of the gravity of the situation.

我们十分明白情况的严重性。

I wa s not awa re (of)how deeply he had felt the death of his mother.

我不知道他对他的母亲之去世如何伤感。(此句中of 可要可不要, 但be aware + that 从句时, of 要去掉)

Without being awa re of it, I had my wallet stolen.

不知不觉, 我的钱包被偷了。

11. Unless you are confessing intense love, you hardly ever look into someone else’s eyes for very long.

如果不是表白深爱, 你很少会长时间盯着别人的眼睛看。

1 )unless = if not(.not)除非, 若不;如果..不You will fail unless you work harder.

除非你更加努力工作, 你将失败。

Unless compelled to stay in by bad weather, I go for a walk every day. 若非天气不好被迫呆在家里, 我每天出去散步。

2 )hardly = almost no, almost not 几乎不, 几乎没有

He hardly ever(very seldom)goes to bed before midnight.

他很少在半夜以前就寝。

There’s ha rdly any coal left. 几乎没有剩下煤了。

I need ha rdly say that I am innocent. 我几乎不须说我是无罪的。

12. If you try it, you’ll find they will soon look away, probably in embarrassment.

如果你这样做, 你会发现对方很快把目光移开很可能还带着些局促不安的神情。

Probably 很可能地, 为probable 的副词形式。

辨异: probable, likely, possible, a. 这三个词都有“可能的”意思。

Probable 表示的可能性最大, likely 次之, possible 较弱。注意:

可以说It is possible for sb. to do sth. It is probable (likely)+ that 从句或one is likely to do sth. 但不能说One is probable to do sth. 或It is likely (probable)for sb. to do sth. possible 可以作定语, 其位置可以置于名词前或后。例如: everything possible 可能的每种事情;the only possible man 惟一可能的人。

Rain is possible but not probable before evening. 在傍晚前下雨是可能的, 但是靠不住的(即不十分肯定会下雨)。

It isn’t likely that he will succeed. 他的成功没有多少可能性。

He is not likely to succeed. 他大概不会成功。

That is not likely to happen. 那事不大可能发生。

Frost is possible, though not probable, even at the end of May.

即使在五月底, 下霜也是可能的, 虽然可能性不大。

It is possible for them to finish the job in one month.

他们一个月内完成这件工作不是不可能的。

Te xt B

Body Talk

身势语

Study of the Text

1.Or worried about why someone you were talking to suddenly became

cool and distant?或者正和你谈话的那个人忽然间态度冷淡, 疏远你, 你有没有对此感到纳闷?

1 )主句省略了主语和系动词, 即: Or were you worried about.?

2 )you were talking to 是定语从句, 前面省略关系代词whom, 修饰someone。

3 )talk to 向.. 谈话。一般来说, 只表示一方讲话;而talk with

意为“ 和.. 谈话”, 表示双方都参与谈话, 交换意见, 谈论一切。

They were ta lking to some foreign sailors through an interpreter.

他们通过译员在同外国海员们谈话。

The little boy likes ta lking with his mother.

这个小男孩喜欢同他的母亲交谈。

4 )cool adj. (态度)冷淡的

The hostess gave guests a cool reception.

女主人给她的客人以冷淡的接待。

The couple were cool to each other and their marriage ended in divorce.

这对夫妇彼此十分冷淡。他们的婚姻最终以离异告终。

5 )distant adj. 疏远的, 冷淡的

The adopted son was dista nt toward his father.

养子对他的父亲十分疏远。

The daughter is distant toward her father for he has not seen her for five years. 父亲五年不见女儿, 女儿对父亲疏远。

2.Social scientists are now devoting considerable attention to“ nonverbal communication, ”what happens when people get together, apart from their actual conversation. 许多社会学家现在十分关注“ 非言语交际”现象, 即除了实际对话交流之外, 关注人们在一起的各种情况。

辨异: apart from, in addition to, besides, as well as, except, but 以上几个表达法及词译为汉语都有“ 除..之外”的意义。

apart from, in addition to, besides, as well as 除..之外。后面跟的介词宾语常表示总数内的东西, 即包括在内。

Apar t from this consideration, there are other reasons why we should do so. 除了这个考虑, 还有其他我们应该这样做的理由。

In a dition to money, we offer the blind woman some food.

除了给钱与这位盲人妇女外, 我们还为她提供食物。

This design has many other advantages besides lower cost.

这个设计费用低外, 还有许多其他优点。

The young girl is pretty as well a s active. 这少女既美丽又活泼。

except 和but 除..之外, 后面部分不包括在总数之内。

Every one of us, except him, went to see the exhibition.

除他以外, 我们都去参观了展览会。

He usually goes to work on his bike, except when it rains (或except on rainy days).除了雨天, 他一般都骑自行车上班。

Nobody knows it except me. 除了我以外, 没有人知道这事。

3.He feels that gestures, movements and physical closeness have meaning which the words that the people are using do not carry.

他认为手势、动作和身体间的亲密程度具有人们用言语所不能传达的意义。

1 )feel vt. 认为, 以为。这里并不是表示它的常用意义“ 感觉”。

He felt it his duty to save state property.

他认为抢救国家财产是自己的责任。

I feel that he has done his best. 在我看来, 他已尽了最大努力。

2 )which 引导的定语从句中又套一个由that 引导的定语从句: that the people are using, 修饰words, 即“ 人们正在使用的言语”。

3 )carry 在这里是个及物动词, 意思是“ 传达”,“ 传送”,“ 传播”的意思。

How many kilogrammes of luggage can I ca rry with me?

我可以携带多少公斤行李?

I have lost my watch which I ca rried when I went to school.

上学时我丢失了随身携带的表。

4.The closeness of two people when talking, movement towards and away from each other , and the amount of eye contact all reveal something about the nature of the relationship between the two individuals.

交谈着的双方的亲密程度, 动作上是相互接近还是相互疏远, 目光的接触量, 凡此种种都部分地反映出两人之间关系的实际情况。

1 )when talking = when two people are talking.

2 )towards = toward prep. 向, 朝

walk toward(s)the town 向镇上走;march to the enemy 向敌人挺进。

The house faces towa rds the south. 这幢屋子朝南。