书城外语英语PARTY——纯正口语对话室
45224200000003

第3章 工作篇(1)

焦点问题众人评

A: Marco,what do you wanna talk today?

Marco,今天你想谈点儿什么?

B: Drew,I was reading a book about euthanasia last night.And I am a bit confused.

Drew,我昨晚看了一本儿关于安乐死的书。我有点儿困惑了。

A: What did the book say?

书里写了什么?

B: What is in the book is not important,I was wondering what you think of it.

写了什么不重要。我想知道你是怎么想的。

A: Me?You know. I,ve never thought about it.This is like such a big question.

我?你知道我可从来没想过这个问题。这问题可够大的。

B: No,no.Drew. I,m serious,think about it. I know death is just part of life, I mean should a doctor leave patients lying there in beds,watching them suffer from throes,or give them some medicines to let them die?

不Drew,我是认真的,想一下。我知道死亡是生存的一部分,我是说医生是应该把病人留在床上,看他们受苦,还是应该给他们点儿药,让他们死呢?

A: I don,t know. I,m not a doctor.

我不知道。我又不是医生。

B: What would you do if you were a doctor?

如果你是医生的话你会怎么办?

A: Well. I guess one of a doctor,s duties is to prevent suffering and sometimes killing is the only way to do it.

我想医生的职责之一就是不让病人受苦,有些时候让他们死对病人来说反而是种解脱。

B: Killing?

让他们死?

A: I mean there should be 2 kinds of euthanasia ,passive and active.

我是说应该有主动和被动两种安乐死。

B: What,s the distinction between them?

这两者有什么分别吗?

A: Active is like killing,which sounds a little controversial.And passive is like letting die.If a patient has some kind of livingwill,on which it says he does not want his life prolonged.Then the doctor could practice mercykilling.

主动安乐死有点儿像谋杀,存在很大的争议。被动安乐死就是让病人自己选择死,如果病人生前立了遗嘱,不想延续生命的话。那么医生们就可以执行安乐死。

B: You,ve got a point there.

有道理。

A: Marco,can we just not talk about this?My girlfriend is coming here in 2 hours. I don,t wanna give her a mercykilling face.Marco.

咱们能不能不谈这个。我女朋友两个钟头以后来。我可不想给她看安乐死的脸。

B: Sorry,buddy. I,ll let you go.

你去约会吧。

Have a good date.

抱歉。

A: Ok.Bye bye.

再见

Attention Please (特别提醒)

[你可以请外教反复帮你模仿/训练下面句子/词组的正宗美式发音]

[1]euthansia安乐死。它的另一种说法是mercykilling。安乐死历来就是一个容易引起争议的问题[controversial question]。你不妨用英语跟老外们聊聊这个问题。

[2]lovingwill是遗嘱的意思。是病人的一种书面说明。生命日后在无望康复时要求不采取医疗手段延续生命。

最近每人都很忙

A: Hello,Modern English.

你好,洋话连篇。

B: Hi,I would like to talk to Ryne,please.

你好,我想和Ryne讲话。

A: Hold a sec,[to Ryne]Your phone call.

等一下,[给Ryne]你的电话。

C: Hello.

你好。

B: Ryne,this is MarcoRyne.

我是Marco。

C: Hi,Marco,nice to hear your voice again.What have you been doing these days?

真高兴能再听到你的声音。这些天你都在忙什么呢?

B: Nothing special.I,ve cancled all my outdoor activities.You know SARS is going around.Who would take the risk of getting affected?

也没什么。我取消了所有的户外活动,你也知道,“非典”盛行。谁会去冒这个险呢?

C: Yes,I just find things are so boring in town.How,s your girlfriend?

是啊,我也发现最近没劲透了。你女朋友怎么样了?

B: She,s fine,thanks,but she,s back at home now.Her university was closed temporarily.She won,t be coming back until June 7th.

挺好的,不过她回家了,她的大学暂时停课。她要到六月七号才能回来呢。

C: Why didn,t you go back home?Beijing has become such an empty city.

你为什么不回家?北京都快空了。

B: Well,I would if I could.I don,t have enough money.

要是能的话我早回了,我钱不够了。

C: Poor Marco.I could spot you some 500 kuai.

真可怜。我借你五百吧。

B: Thanks,Ryne,I,m fine,I can handle that.

谢了。我还能应付过来。

C: Are you sure?

你肯定?

B: Yeah,how,s Tina?

是的。Tina怎么样?

C: She,s back to UK.Her mom,s like really worried about her.

她回英国了。她妈妈非常担心她。

B: Did your mom call you?

你妈妈打电话给你了吗?

C: She calls me aroundtheclock.I told her I,m fine and don,t worry about me.She said she,d come to China in this July.I said that,s not bad,maybe we both could teach in Modern English[chuckles].

她一天二十四小时打电话。我告诉她别担心我,她七月要来中国。我说那也不错,没准儿我们都能在洋话连篇里教课呢[笑]。

B: And I could talk to her on the phone[chuckles].我也可以同她电话聊天啊[笑]。

Attention Please (特别提醒)

[你可以请外教反复帮你模仿/训练下面句子/词组的正宗美式发音]

[1]I would if I could.这实际上是表示不可能的婉转说法。句子用的是虚拟语气。表示不可能的情况。所以当有人向你借钱时,礼貌的用这句话。他们I would if I could。

[2]I could spot you some 500 kuai.我可以借你五百块。spot在这里表示借的意思。通常不是很大的数目。some在这里也不是一些的意思,它加在数字前,表示一个不确定的数目。

教书育人乐其中

A: Kay,do you like your job?

Kay,你喜欢你的工作吗?

B: Why not? Teachig is a lot fun . I can meet different people and talk to them.It is a good learning experience for me too.

为什么不?教书很有趣。我可以遇见不同的人并且和他们聊天。这对我来说也是个很好的学习机会。

A: What did you learn through teaching?

那你都学到了什么?

B: I learned how to talk to people.You know, if you really want to be someone,you need to learn to get on well with people.You can,t just walk in the classroom with a long face.You may scare students away.

怎样同人们讲话。你知道,如果你想成为个人物的话,你需要学会和人们相处融洽。你不可以板着脸进教室,会把学生吓跑的。

A: Do you feel bored sometimes? I mean you have to do it over and over again.And you meet the same people every day?

你不烦吗?我是说你得一遍遍地教,每天还得见同样的人。

B: Not at all. I know there may be some slow students.But you need to find different ways to help them,to cheer them up.That,s what a teacher is all about.

一点也不。我知道有些学生会学得很慢。可是你得找出不同的法子帮助他们,鼓励他们。作老师是这样的。

A: What do you usually do in your first class?

你第一节课通常做什么?